University of Science and Technology, Meghalaya (USTM), promoted by ERD Foundation, Guwahati was established under Act 6 of 2008 enacted by the Legislative Assembly of Meghalaya and incorporated under section 22 and 2(f) of the UGC Act 1956. It’s campus aptly named “Techno City”. School of Applied Sciences, Biological Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities, Business Sciences and Education are the various academic units of the University, further divided into departments and institutes/centres for imparting courses and programmes leading to the degree at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Research is also carried out by various schools and departments of USTM, leading to the award of Ph.D. degree.
The current FDP is an effort to enrich the Young Faculties & Research scholars in social science on research methodology. The present FDP on research methodology course in social science is expected to cover the basics of research methodology, focusing on theoretical and practical inputs. Specifically, it will focus on formulating a research problem, formulating the research hypothesis and testing of hypothesis, conducting literature review, data collection methods, selecting appropriate parametric or non-parametric statistical method for analyzing data, and report writing
- Nature of Scientific Methods; Types of Research: Historical, Analytical, Interdisciplinary, Evaluative, Participative and Action Research
- Steps in the Process of Research – Problem Selection, Formulation and Planning; How to write a Proposal
- Research Design: Exploratory, Diagnostic, Descriptive, Experimental; Control Group & Experimental Group; Ex-Post Fact to Research Design, Concepts in Quantitative Research: Variables, Attributes
- Hypotheses & Sampling: Concept & Types of Hypotheses, Formulation of Hypothesis, Testing of Hypothesis, Nature & Types of Sampling: Probability Sampling: Simple Random Sampling, Proportionate and Disproportionate Stratified Random Sampling, Cluster Sampling; Non-Probability Sampling: Accidental Sampling, Quota Sampling, Purposive Sampling, Snowball Sampling
- Tool of Data Collection: Primary & Secondary Data, Questionnaire, Types and Formats of interview Schedule, Different types of Interviews, Observation, Case Study Method, Content Analysis, Rating Scales: Osgood; Bogardus; Thurston; Likert; Guttman
- Social Statistics: Measurement of Central Tendency, Dispersion, Skewness, Kurtosis, Regression and Correlation; Measurement of Correlation; Karl Pearson’s Correlation and Rank Correlation, Statistical Inference: Point and interval estimates, Parametric and NonParametric Test (Chi-Square, Test of Differences, Significance and Freedom); Analysis of Variance and Co-Variance: One Way and two-way classification.
- Introduction to SPSS: Data View, Variable View, Importing of Data, Defining of
- Using SPSS testing Normality and reliability of Data:
Example of Interpretation.
- Using SPSS Chi-Square Test: Example of Interpretation.
- Using SPSS t-Test (One-Sample): Example of Interpretation.
- Using SPSS t-Test (Independent): Example of Interpretation.
- Using SPSS Correlation & regression: Example of Interpretation.
- Using SPSS ANOVA (One Way): Example of Interpretation.
- Report Writing – References in Report Writing (Style Sheet); How to write an
academic Research Paper.
Topics to be Covered
This programme will cover the following topics:
◆ To enable the participants, define the research problem, develop an approach to the research problem, and select a suitable research design. ◆ To impart capabilities for formulation and testing of hypotheses based on the nature of research.
◆ To comprehend the appropriateness of statistical software packages for analyzing research data.
◆ To enable the participants to understand the process of writing research proposals and report writings.
◆ To make aware the participants of the latest trends in the social science research.
Who can Apply?
Faculty members, Research Scholars, and other working professionals doing research and projects in various Social Sciences disciplines are eligible for this Programme. The maximum number of participants is limited to 30; hence, the selection will be based on a first-come, first-served basis.
Every participant has to be registered online.
Every participant has to pay 3500 hundred rupees online in the following account details.
Account Name: University of Science & Technology
Account No: 911010060610980
Bank: Axis Bank (Khanapara Branch, Guwahati)
IFSC Code: UTIB0001297
How to Apply
Interested participants fulfilling the above criteria may submit their Register applications in the prescribed format for the following training and workshop
Last Date of submission of application form: 15th December, 2021
Submit the application form in the following Email id:
- Last date for registration is 15th December, 2021
- Event date 5th January to 11th January, 2022
For Additional Information
Organizer Information 🇮🇳
University of Science & Technology,
Techno City, Kiling Road,
Baridua, 9th Mile,
- Seven Days Faculty Development Programme Organized by University of Science & Technology
- Learn About Research Methodology & Data Analysis
- Faculty Development Programme for Faculty members, Research Scholars, and other working professionals doing research and projects
Post expires on Wednesday December 15th, 2021