Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar is one of the eight new IITs set up by the Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD), Government of India, to expand the reach and enhance the quality of technical education in the country. This institute is committed to providing state-of-the-art technical education in a variety of fields and also for facilitating transmission of knowledge in keeping with latest developments in pedagogy. These two areas of focus will enable students to gain exposure to recent trends in their chosen domains of study and gain practical experience through a wide variety of activities the institute facilitates in its own campus and arranges for in collaboration with industry and other institutes.
Applications are invited from highly motivated and eligible candidates for the following project under the STARS scheme funded by MHRD and managed by IISc, Bangalore.
Project title: Study of droplet dynamics and phase change on soft materials towards enhanced atmospheric water harvesting
Project description: Materials with low stress modulus can be classified as ‘soft’ in terms of their response to the capillary forces. Water droplets on such soft substrates show a distinctly different behaviour compared to usual rigid materials such as glass or metals. Due to the softness of the material, the surface tension of the drop locally deforms the substrate around the contact line region. This phenomenon is referred to as elastocapillary effect. Due to this effect, the wetting dynamics on soft substrates are significantly different from rigid solid substrates. The local deformation around the contact line of a drop on such substrates forms a wetting ridge that causes a significant reduction in apparent contact angle. This in turn influences how water condenses on such substrates. In summary, the interaction of liquid and soft substrates presents a number of interesting physical effects. This project aims to perform fundamental investigations into soft substrates wetting dynamics through, experiments and numerical simulations. The insights gained from such investigations will help to design new strategies for applications such as harvesting drinking water from fog and dew.
- Junior Research Fellow (JRF) 01 Post
- Junior Research Fellow (JRF) :
- Essential Qualifications: The applicant must meet at least one of the following two criteria: i. Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering / Chemical Engineering from a recognized institute and with exceptionally good academic record with a minimum CGPA of 7.0 on a 10.0 point scale (or 70% marks) + good GATE/NET score ii. Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering / Chemical Engineering from a recognized institute and with exceptionally good academic record with a minimum CGPA of 7.0 on a 10.0 point scale (or 70% marks) + good GATE/NET score Desirable Qualities: The candidate should have an extensive knowledge of Thermodynamics, Heat & Mass Transfer and Fluid Mechanics fundamentals.
Minimum Monthly Remuneration
- As per extant rules.
How to Apply
The applicant should send the following documents, as a single PDF file, through an email to email@example.com.
1. Completely filled application form given in the prescribed proforma (Annexure A)
2. Detailed Biodata with contact information of references (email included)
3. Soft copies of all degree certificates and proof of GATE/NET score as applicable
4. ‘Statement of purpose’ (stating personal goals and research interests) (note more than 1 page) The email must have the subject line: “Application for the post of JRF (Contract) – STARS“. Last date of receipt of application: 28th February 2024. Only shortlisted candidates will be called for interview.
Last Date of the application: 28th February 2024
Job Location 🇮🇳
Indian Institute of Technology Ropar, Nangal Road, Hussainpur, Rupnagar 140 001, Punjab.
For Additional Information
- Government Job Opportunity in Indian Institute of Technology Ropar
- Monthly Salary As per extant rules
- Job Opportunity for Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering / Aerospace Engineering / Chemical Engineering from a recognized institute
🔖 Post Expires on 28th February 2024